3D isotropic antenna measurement

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
18.4 K Views
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

Do you offer any isotropic antenna or how to make a isotropic 3D measurement?

We offer our OmniLOG and BicoLOG antennas which provide a very good radial isotropic measurement.
The problem of a "real" isotropic 3D antenna is its VERY low sensitivity. That's why we don't offer it so far.
Probably next year we will offer a VERY attractive 3D solution together with a new generation of spectrum analyzer.

Anyway at the moment you can do the following:
1) Use our new MCS software. This software offers the possibility to make a real 3D measurement (it will calculate the 3D value from multiple measurements).
2) Use the hold feature and the panning approach measurement method (see SPECTRAN manual) which is a well-known standard to make a 3D measurement even if a 3D antenna is a "must have". Usually this will show the same value as a 3D measurement but it can be slightly lower. If you will add an extra 3dB it should be perfect.
3) If you want to measure a base station antenna you only need to orientate the OmniLOG or HyperLOG antenna exactly as the base station antenna (pin point to the base station antenna). This will offer a perfect measurement (as a real 3D measurement would offer) because this provides the highest possible signal strength which is MUCH higher then any other orientation.

We will soon offer our new IsoLOG 30300 antenna which covers a frequency range of 30MHz to 3GHz and IsoLOG 30600 which covers a frequency range of 30MHz to 6GHz.
They can be connected to any spectrum analyzer with 50Ohms input.

Snip

(@adceng)

Do you offer any isotropic antenna or how to make a isotropic 3D measurement?

Anyway at the moment you can do the following:
1) Use our new MCS software. This software offers the possibility to make a real 3D measurement (it will calculate the 3D value from multiple measurements).

Hi, I have both an OmniLog and Bicolog antennas and I am interested in real 3D measurements (3 separated measurements on three orthogonal axis to be combined), but I am not able to find in latest MCS software (1.1.0) this feature.
Could You assist me with a step by step description ?

Many thanks for Your support

Adceng

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

So far this is not supported but if you would add this feature to the "MCS wanted feature list" we might add it soon.

Snip

ReplyQuote
AlbertoM
(@albertom)

I think that the 3D measurements are important.

I produced the attached file pdf that show us specific positions of antenna in the space in reference to radio base station.

Usually I calculate the 3D value in this way:

Hyperlog : square root (quadratic value of Z + quadratic value of Y )
Omnilog : square root (quadratic value of X + quadratic value of Y + quadratic value of Z )

This is a laborious method ( export in excel and calculate manually).

I don't understand what is the oriantation the you explain in this sentence : " .. orientate the OmniLOG or HyperLOG antenna exactly as the base station antenna (pin point to the base station antenna). "

I suppose: Z for Hyperlog , Z for Omnilog . Is it correct ?

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yes, that is correct.

Snip

ReplyQuote
Share: