Steps in the signal

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
10.9 K Views
(@michal92)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I have a problem with measuring the spectrum with Spectran HF-60105 X v4. When nothing is plugged into BNC connector I expect almost straigt line. But I'm getting signal which looks like steps. Level changes on "full" frequencies (35, 60, 150...)
I also tried to make measuring of some device, but results are really bad (I compared it with another spectral analyzer - HP). Is there any option which I have to enable or change? Why is this happening? Also why are there distinct "peaks" on some frequencies? Thank you for help!

I attach screenshot of original app (MCS Spectrum Analyzer) and my application, results are simmilar.

settings:
start frequency: 30 MHz
stop frequency: 300 MHz
RBW: 100 kHz
VBW: 100 kHZ
sampletime: 1000ms
internal attenuator: 0 dB
detector: RMS

(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

You simply get what you pay for: Without internal preamp and UBBV2-Option you cant expect anny better sensitivity in that frequency range.
See this posting how to boost the sensitivity by simply adding 1-2 options to a bench top class unit: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=703

Snip

ReplyQuote
(@michal92)
Topic starter  

Thank you for your reply.

I didn't buy this device, I'm only programmer. So If I understand, there isn't any solution for getting better results, I can only buy another Spectran? Or is there any possibility to add option 020 and UBBV2 for my device?

ReplyQuote
(@admin)
Active Member Admin

Yes you can upgrade your unit at any time.
For option 020 (internal 15dB Preamp) you would get a upgrade code from us (no need to send the unit back for upgrade).
The UBBV2 is an external preamp (40dB), so no need to send us the unit. This might be the best and also the most cost effectiv solution.

ReplyQuote
Share: