Jumping Mouse when inserting an RF connector

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gpasini)
Topic starter  

Hi!
I have a problem with the MCS program.
When I using the program MCS on my computer, inserting an sma connector with a 10 MHz sine signal 7dBm my computer goes crazy.
MCS program crashes, the desktop settings are changed , appear ballpoint mouse error messages and everything flashes on the screen.
I must disconnect the USB cable and restart the computer.
It seems that the analyzer sends a series of random commands to the PC via the USB port.
The driver becomes damaged and asks to be reinstalled when the computer on again.
If I insert the connector before turning on the analyzer everything works fine.
It works even if I insert the signal through the 20dB attenuator with the analyser is on.
Sys Op XP pro.
Does anyone have any idea what happens?
Thanks

(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1469

Snip

ReplyQuote
(@gpasini)
Topic starter  

As I suspected the problem is hardware and not software.
I found that it is a problem of different ground potentials between the PC , the analyzer and the generator.
The PC chassis is connected to the ground of the power line,conversely the instrument and the generator don't are connected to the same ground.
Almost all professional power supplies have a mains filter containing 2 capacitors connected between the wires phase and neutral with the ground (chassis) of the instrument.
If the instrument is not connected to ground by the power plug (2 wires connection instead of 3 wire connection ), the chassis has a potential of 230Vac with an high series impedance.
When I connect the generator to the analyzer, the RF input takes a shock at 230Vac with very low current , shock that can have unpredictable effects (eg on USB).
For this reason, a high-class tool (for example biomedical) has a USB interface optically isolated to prevent the electrical contact create these problems.
I connected the three grounds (PC, analyzer and generator) together and I had no problems.
I think I will try a on the net an optically isolated USB cable, or I will build one.
Best Regards

ReplyQuote
(@gpasini)
Topic starter  

I bought and tried a usb cable optically isolated and the problem no longer occurs

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

Thanks for the hint :)

Snip

ReplyQuote
Share: