How Do I read the Unit Information?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
12.2 K Views
StuartUK
(@stuartuk)
Topic starter  

I am particularly interested in the 5 digit Serial Number as reported in the LCS Unit Information dialog.

StuartUK
(@stuartuk)
Topic starter  

Anybody know how to do this?

ReplyQuote
stb
 stb
(@stb)
Trusted Member

Hello Stuart,

I'm afraid, but I just received confirmation, that this information is considered classified.

A co-worker suggested, that you could use a free file ID to save your own serial number or wait for the up-coming ASDK, which has support for reading the Aaronia device information.

PGP
Homepage

ReplyQuote
StuartUK
(@stuartuk)
Topic starter  

Hi stb - thanks for the response.

I'm a bit confused as to why the information is considered as classified when it is clearly displayed on a sticker on the back of the unit? I appreciate the suggestion of using a FileID to store our own serial number - unfortunately this is not ideal as there seems to be no way of protecting that FileID from being overwritten with other data.
In 20 years I have never come across any sort of device that cannot be queried for some sort of unique identifier - is there a particular reason why the Spectrans have been designed this way?

When you say there is an upcoming ASDK which CAN read the device information, does that mean that the information is going to be UN-classified or does it mean that the current ASDK is just not capable of reading it?

While I'm talking about the ASDK, I was wondering why my posts have been moved to this forum when you have an ASDK forum and I've been trying to use the current ASDK to write my own application. To me the ASDK forum was the obvious place to post. Can you please tell me what the difference is between the Programmers Guide forum and the ASDK forum (Then I'll know which forum is more appropriate for my questions in future)?

ReplyQuote
stb
 stb
(@stb)
Trusted Member

Hello Stuart,

Its not the serial number, but the file-encoding, which is considered classified.

The Programmers-Guide(PG) is a more or less unsupported collection of source code, libraries, examples and "api-documentation", written by an external developer quite some time ago and it is going to be replaced by the Aaronia-Software-Developer-Kit in the near future. The PG is based on VC6 (or even earlier) and the MFC.

The ASDK is a collection of C++ libraries based on Qt 4.6 and it is going to provide a rich set of classes to access most (if not all!) SPECTRAN features through a clear and object orientated API. In addition, the ASDK has support for many 32 and 64 bit operating systems like Windows, MacOS and Linux and a nice, MSDN like, documentation (html,pdf,man,latex) created with doxygen.

PGP
Homepage

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

@ Stuart
Post deleted. Please only post usefull replies and dont post internas...

Snip

ReplyQuote
Share: