Clear all

NF 5030 spectrum analyzer questions

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
16.6 K Views
(@mapperian)
Topic starter  

I am a newbie with spectrum analyzer. I want to buy NF5030 spectrum analyzer for my project. I downloaded the datasheet from the internet but i do not have complete information to make a decision whether this analyzer will be useful for my purpose. I could not find a post that answers my queries. Can you please answer the following questions:
- What is the spatial resolution of the sensor?
- What kind of sensor and sensor technology is used in the analyzer?
- What is the spectral resolution of the analyzer?
- What is the noise specification?
- Is it possible to automate the analyzer [connect to PC and use NI cards etc.]?
- How fast the measurements can be transferred to PC?
- How many data points can the internal memory store?

I would highly appreciate if i could get a reply soon.

(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

- What is the spatial resolution of the sensor?

Of WHICH sensor?

- What kind of sensor and sensor technology is used in the analyzer?

See data sheets (electric field sensor, magnetic field sensor and static magnetic field sensor). Anyway you can also connect any other sensor to the analog input (vibration, mic etc.).

- What is the spectral resolution of the analyzer?

See data sheets (0,3Hz)

- What is the noise specification?

This is impossible to answer. It depends on frequency, span and used sensor. The maximum possible specs are shown in the data sheets.

- Is it possible to automate the analyzer [connect to PC and use NI cards etc.]?

Yes you can also write your own application via our programmers guide which we offer for free download.

- How fast the measurements can be transferred to PC?

This is done in REALTIME, there is no delay at all in transferring data to the PC software

- How many data points can the internal memory store?

The 1MB memory expansion is a "must have" if you want to use the logger function and don´t have the opportunity to log data directly to a PC. With 1MB you can save about 10000 readings, the standard 64K will only last for about 100 readings.

Snip

ReplyQuote
(@mapperian)
Topic starter  

Thank you for the information.

If i understand correctly, NF5030 is just a spectrum analyzer and the sensor [in my case magnetic field sensor] needs to be attached to the analyzer. What kind of connector [SMA?] is available for the sensor on the analyzer? I want to measure magnetic field down to 1nT over a frequency range 1kHz - 30Mhz with a spatial resolution of 1mm. Which sensor/probe should i consider? There will be a distance of 5m from the sensor and spectrum analyzer and i can not access the sensor while taking measurements.

Can i make my own sensor? What things should i keep in mind and how could i calibrate my sensor?

Coming back to the noise specs., i know that the noise is frequency dependent. However, i could not find it on the datasheet that i have downloaded. Could you please send me a link to the right datasheet?

Which programming language will i use to automate the system? I usually program in Python or C++.

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

As mentioned in our products PDFs all sensors are INTEGRATED in the unit itself.
Measuring 1nT from 1kHz up is no problem at all for the NF-5030 with DDC.

You can also attach our probeset PBS1 or PBS2 (incl. 40dB preamp) to the SMA-input so you can perfectly pin point electric or magnetic fields within circuits etc. within 1mm or even better. Our software does the calculation automatically but you can also use a excel table which we ship with the probe set (converts dBm readings on your Scope or Analyzer to T or V/m).

Making own probes and connecting those to the SPECTRAN is no problem but you would need to calibrate such a probe otherwise you would get useless readings. Better use our calibrated probes...

Our programmers guide works fine with Visual Studio C++ but you can also convert it to any other compiler.

Snip

ReplyQuote
(@mapperian)
Topic starter  

Dear moderator,

In my first post, my first question was about the sensor that is integrated in the spectrum analyzer. I asked about the placement, size and spatial resolution of that sensor. Do you know that?

The prices of PBS1 and PBS2 is too much as compare to the analyzer. If they are just simple coil then i would not buy them. I am only interested in magnetic fields measurements so i do not need the complete set.

Can you tell me the noise specs in terms that i can understand (in terms of pT/(Hz)^0.5)?

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

Again: The maximum possible sensitivity is shown in the data sheet and on our website e.g.:

• Typ. level range DDC Analog in: 200nV to 200mV** / -150dBm (Hz)

The sensor size is also shown in the data sheet (22mm×22mmx15mm).
Also see http://www.elektroniknet.de/bauelemente/produkte/passive-bauelemente/article/19522/0/Erstmals_alle_drei_Achsen_X_Y_Z_unabhaengig_voneinander_nutzbar/

The sensor is placed in the middle of the unit under the LCD.

The resolution depends on the filter/sensitivity you use and the distance to the source. It should be better then 1mm (view cm distance to the source).

Snip

ReplyQuote
(@alphay)
Trusted Member

Hi

I have 5030 and Geo 10 for vibration test .
Can we use them for ISO 10816-3 for testing ?

The test data unit should be in/sec eq. Peak or mm/sec RMS ?

Please let me know and how .

Thanks

Alpha

ReplyQuote
(@moderator)
Noble Member Admin

No its ment for frequency measurement only.

Snip

ReplyQuote
Share: